Frequently Asked Questions:
Fundraise the Jolly Roger is a Greater Pittsburgh fundraising program, in partnership with the Pittsburgh Pirates, to engage schools through philanthropy, while having fun, winning great prizes and supporting the hometown baseball team! This unique fundraiser allows children an opportunity to help vulnerable children……a homerun in our books.
When can we start our team webpage – Beginning February 1, 2019 through April 30, 2019 – Sign up your school to participate in the 2019 WTAE-TV project Bundle-Up’s ‘Fundraise the Jolly Roger’. For 20 years, the Pirates and WTAE-TV’s project Bundle-Up have collaborated to raise money to purchase new winter outerwear for more than 280,000 disadvantaged Western Pennsylvania children and seniors.
Where can I sign up our school – Sign up from the project Bundle-Up website at www.projectbundleup.org. Click on the Fundraise the Jolly Roger page.
How does your school participate – Your school may participate in THREE easy steps.
- Get started: Go to projectbundleup.org and register your team. You may set your fundraising goal and customize your team’s website.
- Recruiting: Students, teachers, administrators, parents and friends can sign up on your team’s fundraising website and donate
- Fundraising: Your school may fundraise through events and/or through individual donations to the school’s fundraising page. How your school chooses to fundraise is up to you, however we are happy to provide suggestions. Your school can run a Project Bundle-Up Bounce to Bundle-Up event, a Penny Wars Competition, Spirit Day events, walks, runs, bake sales, or a Pittsburgh Pirates Opening Day themed dress down on April 1, when they play their first home game at PNC Park versus the St. Louis Cardinals. These are just a few suggestions. You can find more at projectbundleup.org. Utilize the tools available to your school to help promote your event and increase your fundraising network.
What can your school win – There are several milestone prize opportunities as well as one large grand prize you can win by fundraising.
- The first 20 schools that raise $500 or more will receive: 50 Pittsburgh Pirates bracelets
- The first 20 schools to raise $750 or more will receive: 25 Pittsburgh Pirates baseball caps
- The first 10 schools to raise $1,000 or more will receive: Tickets for the entire school to attend a Pittsburgh Pirates game at PNC Park in 2019
- The school that raises the most money by 12:00PM on April 30, 2019 will receive: A visit from a Pittsburgh Pirates player to your school, where they will do a Q&A with students, take pictures, sign a pre-determined number of autographs and thank the school for the incredible work done fundraising through this program; school representatives will also be invited to do an on-air check presentation at the 2019 WTAE-TV project Bundle-Up Telethon.
Is your school eligible for the player visit – If your school is located less than one hour from PNC Park, you are eligible to win the top prize of a Pittsburgh Pirate Player visit. All schools, no matter its distance from Pittsburgh, are eligible for the other milestone prizes.
When would my school receive the milestone prize – Milestone prizes are on a rolling schedule, so you will qualify as soon as you reach the milestone and receive your prizes within two weeks of hitting that goal.
When would the player visit occur if our school wins the top prize – The Pirates player visit would occur on a date in May or early June, likely in the late morning that day and would last around one hour. The date would occur on a day the Pirates have an evening home game. Project Bundle-Up will work with your school to schedule the visit and the details for the event.
How does your team website work – When your school signs up on the program website, you will create a custom school team fundraising page, including a link specifically for you school. You will provide this link to anyone who wants to donate or participate. Anyone can join your team and donate, in fact we recommend providing it to as many people as possible. Donations are online, and the money will be collected through the system. The donation will immediately show on your team’s page with the updated totals.
Where is my team’s fundraising page- Go to _________________________, and search the list of participating schools
How do I know where our school is in the standings – Go to _____________________, and you will find a list of the top teams, top fundraisers, and a search list of all participating teams.
Can we fundraise other than donations directly to the team website – Your school can fundraise as often or as many ways as you prefer. We provide some ideas for fundraising, but your school is welcome to fundraise however you would like. Some ideas include:
- Bounce for Bundle-Up (Link to the page)
- Penny Wars
- Spirit Day
- Dress-Down on Pirates Home Opener
- Physical events (Walks, Runs, Swim, Bike, Mini-Golf, etc.)
- Bake Sales
- Raffles & Opportunity Drawings
- Get area businesses to donate
- Lemonade Stands
- Parents Night Out
- Car Wash
- Pizza Parties
Can we donate offline – You can send money to be entered into your team page, if you have donors who do not want to participate through the website. To assure offline donations to your team are properly counted, please follow the instructions below:
- Make all checks payable to Project Bundle-Up
- In the note section, please put the name of the school to benefit from the donation
- Please provide some sort of accompanying note with the check confirming this is a part of the Fundraise the Jolly Roger Fundraiser and which school should receive the check.
- Send the check to:
Attn: Fundraise the Jolly Roger
700 North Bell Avenue
Carnegie, PA. 15106
- Please note we will add all donations received within 48 hours of receiving, so plan accordingly to assume it is counted before the April 30 deadline.
How should we promote our team – Use all resources available to the school, including social media.
The tax ID number for Project Bundle-Up and The Salvation Army of Western Pennsylvania is: 13-5562351
For questions, call Project Bundle-Up at : 412-446-1640